Saturday, November 5, 2016

Digital Blog Post #J

First off, I'd like to talk about "The Role of Assessment in Teaching and Learning". The book discusses 3 types of assessment:

  1. New teacher assessment 
  2. Student assessment
  3. Student self-assessment 

A new teacher assessment is how supervisors will assess your work. This one get my blood pumping because it will be the evaluation of ME! In the next two years as I take on getting my bachelors degree in education, I can expect to be evaluated quite a lot, by professors and observing teachers. In the end it will be useful for me, I know that, but it is intimidating! To become a teacher you must display your knowledge, your ability to create quality lessons, and demonstrate what you've learned in a classroom, with students, while the designated teacher observes. 
Student assessment is how the teacher will assess students' learning and in turn, your own effectiveness. A teacher is expected to log student's grades, milestones, and evaluate their ongoing progress. This can be done through quizzes, written assignments, or verbal assignments. For example, in both elementary schools I observed, the teacher went over site words with them, once on Monday and once on Friday. They would then keep track of the progress they made through the week...like if they could read more than they previously could. This would be kept in a student folder and sent home for the parent to see as well. The teacher can be expected to provide feedback to the school and parents daily, as well as report cards and meetings. This one is important because then you can ask yourself "Is my student learning?" or "How can I improve so that they are successful?".
Lastly, is student self-assessment. This one is how students can be involved in seeing their own progress. Self-assessment can help them play an important role in their learning and can build up their commitment to their learning. 



The next point is "Democratic Schools and Classrooms". A democratic classroom is one where the students and teachers together make decisions about how the classroom and their education will operate. So plainly, instead of the teacher being in charge of what each student is doing at every point in the school day, planning each lesson and every move to be honest, the students get to control this. The most famous example of a democratic school is Summerhill School located in Suffolk, England. It was founded in 1921 and is famous for being a "free" school where student's are in control of what they're learning that day, having open access to the arts, woodworking, outdoor activities and computers. My personal opinion of this type of education, is that it might be successful for these students...but I honestly can't imagine it working in the United States. If you had given me this opportunity when I was in school, I would know nothing right now! I would have completely abused my power, becoming the laziest student in the country. I have a strong feeling that would be the outcome for many US students. 

Lastly, is "Student Participation Systems". These are handheld wireless tools that offer interactive learning options for teachers and students that offer interactive learning options for teachers and students (pg 287). It's where you use remotes to create real-time exchanges between students and teachers. This idea is good for students answering teacher questions where they can individually answer the question using their remote. I had no idea this was a thing! However, in a class I observed, they did play a game using their personal computers and it translated onto the 'big screen'. I haven't ever seen remotes come into play, but I can imagine it's pretty cool! I'm sure it gives equal opportunity to each student to become involved in their learning. It sounds very intriguing and I would be open to trying it in my future classrooms (but maybe only 4th-5th graders). 









Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Ellis, J. (2016, November 5). Retrieved November 5, 2016.

    Ellis, J. (2016, November 5). A.
    Created using Bitmoji

No comments:

Post a Comment