Friday, November 11, 2016

Digital Blog Post #K

In chapter 6, I was instantly drawn to the section regarding WebQuests, as I will be diving in this area shortly. WebQuests are online inquiries by students that are designed and guided by teachers. Students will follow a map or tour within, gathering information along the way on whatever topic is chosen. So me, the teacher, would be able to customize the information they see and use. After gathering the information, usually students will then create a presentation about it, or a paper, a project, ect. Designing a successful WebQuest utilizes the following:


Made with Padlet
And teachers need to ask themselves the following questions: 

  1. Who are the students and what are they capable of doing?
  2. What are the primary ideas you wish to teach?
  3. How will students at different skill levels productively work together?
  4. Is technology integrated seamlessly into the assignment? 
I found this section very helpful in aiding me in understanding WebQuests. The above list and questions are something I will definitely be bookmarking for my future work using WebQuests. It seems like a cool way to present information for students and, so far, is one of my favorite uses of technology in teaching. 


The next thing is something I had no idea existed! Virtual field trips. Wow! This is so cool and I had no idea it was something that you could do! Virtual field trips can take students all over the world without having to leave their classroom. It is done through Google Earth and can transport an entire class to places like 

  • Roman Colosseum 
  • Palace of Versailles
  • Smithsonian Institution 
  • Great Wall of China
  • US Capital building

and so much more! I really wish that my teachers in high school had taken advantage of this, although I graduated in 2012 so maybe it hadn't gotten big yet. This is something I, without a doubt, want to use in my classrooms! It would be an amazing opportunity for students who might have a mindset that they won't be going anywhere in their lives for one reason or another. I love it! 



Lastly is regarding online schooling. Online school has become a sensation over the past 5+ years. There are different options like, completely online, virtual school (going to an actual building but learning online) or blended learning (face-to-face combined with online schooling). In high school I remember setting up an online class...hating it...and dropping it immediately. Looking back I probably did not understand how it worked and didn't feel motivated to learn. Flash forward 4 years, and online classes have become my saving grace! Being a full-time manager of a business and a full-time student leaves very little time for anything else, so relieving the stress of not having to leave my home (and let's be real, get out of my PJs) definitely helps! Online classes are so useful for older students in college, as most have established a life outside of school vs 18 year old students creating a life around their education. For high school students, I know online schooling is an option for them as well. I can't think of the top of my head a reason why they would need it, but I do know doing PE online (what is that about anyway?) was a big thing when I attended.




Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

C. (2009, September 11). How does virtual school work? Retrieved November 11, 2016, from http://www.slideserve.com/rene/online-learning-21-st-century


Ellis, J. (2016, November 11). Bon Voyage. Bitmoji.

 Ellis, J. (2016, November 11). The Steps. Retrieved November 11, 2016. 

No comments:

Post a Comment